2022 Kawasaki KX112 review [6 Fast Facts From the Track]
Kawasaki steps into the supermini world with the 2022 Kawasaki KX112. This youth bike helps bridge the gap between 85cc and 125cc two-stroke motocross bikes. The KX112 features the same chassis as the KX100, but with a stroked engine adding 13cc. We enlisted young 85cc racer Grant Schafer—even five feet, 88 pounds—to let us know how a rider targeted by this model liked him on the track.
- Kawasaki did more than just stroke the KX100 engine by turning it into a KX112 powerplant. We went over the changes in our 2022 Kawasaki KX112 First Look To sum it up, Kawasaki went for more torque with the 5.8mm increase in stroke, plus a porting change that aids torque production. There were also many reliability upgrades including a new transmission, new crankshaft, stronger needle bearings in the engine, a new piston and a larger water jacket for the cylinder.
- Engine changes from Kawasaki make the KX112 an incredibly handling supermini. The engine revs quickly, maintaining traction when you back into the six-speed gearbox. With strong low power, throttle response is quick, helping the rider clear bigger jumps. Overrev helps adjust the bike’s attitude through the air, while minimizing the need to upshift once again on short straights. You can either ride it like an 85 and wring its neck, or take advantage of its torquey output and short offset.
- Riders upgrading from an 85 will appreciate the added stability of the 112’s larger wheelset. The 2022 Kawasaki KX112 has 19/17-inch wheels, compared to the 17/14-inch combo you’ll find on 85s. The larger wheels encourage railing berms rather than square them off, even if it’s more than willing to do the latter. Our test rider upgraded to the 112 and could harness the extra power thanks to balancing the chassis’ extra half-inch of track and a 1.8-inch increase in wheelbase.
- With the motor helping on jumps, the KX112 is ready for airtime. The slick powertrain keeps the chassis stable when approaching jumps, and at 170 pounds it’s stable in the air, while maintaining the agility to make in-flight adjustments if needed.
- The suspension is unchanged from the KX85, with 10.8 inches of travel on each end, and it still gets the job done on the KX112. When the rider comes up short or jumps, the suspension saves the day. The rear end stays put through braking bumps as the KX enters corners, keeping the chassis stable and prepared for cornering. The suspension is particularly adept at handling acceleration bumps out of corners.
- With a powerful engine and stable handling, the 2022 Kawasaki KX112 is a solid racing supermini. Engine updates coupled with the increased displacement mean reliability is built into the design, making the $4999 motocrosser especially appealing to young racers without deep pockets.
- Helmet: Bell Moto-10 Fasthouse Day in the Dirt
- Protective glasses: 100% Strata 2
- Shirt: Fasthouse Grindhouse Punk
- Gloves: Fasthouse Speed and Punk Style
- Pants: Fasthouse Grindhouse 2.0 Punk
- Underwear: Ethika
- Knee pads: Leatt Dual axis
- Socks: O’Neal Splint Pro XL
- Boots: Alpinestars Technology 7
2022 Kawasaki KX112 Specifications ENGINE
- Type: Single cylinder two-stroke
- Displacement: 112cc
- Bore x stroke: 52.5 x 51.6mm
- Compression ratio: 8.6:1 to 9.9:1
- Feed: Keihin PWK 28mm flat slide carburetor
- Exhaust: Powervalve and expansion tank
- Transmission: 6 speed
- Clutch: Wet multiplate
- Front suspension; Travel: Fully adjustable 36mm inverted cartridge fork; 10.8 inches
- Rear suspension; travel: linkage-assisted fully adjustable piggyback reservoir damper; 10.8 inches
- Tyres: Dunlop Geomax MX33
- Front tire: 70/100 x 19
- Rear tire: 90/100 x 16
- Front brake: 220mm disc with Tokico 2-piston caliper
- Rear brake: 184mm disc with single piston caliper
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 51.6 inches
- Rake: 29 degrees
- Trail: 4.3 inches
- Seat height: 34.3 inches
- Ground clearance: 13.0 inches
- Fuel capacity: 1.3 gallons
- Wet weight: 170 pounds
- Colour: lime green
2022 Kawasaki KX112 Price: MSRP $4999
2022 Kawasaki KX122 Review Photo Gallery